Interested in Subscribing to our blog?
Best Practices — June 2023 Conference (Ep. 176)
Welcome back. As many of you know, we like to record an episode after each Career Conference capturing some of the Conference’s best practices from a few of our most recent alumni. We have found that these podcast episodes help soon-to-be transitioning military officers get a good handle on what to expect and how to be as prepared as possible. This episode features three of our most recent alumni – each attending the June 2023 Career Conference.
- Ben Carey is a 7-year Space Force Captain who is going to go work for Campbell Soup Company as an Associate Brand Manager.
- Meredith Frey is a 4-year Army Logistics Captain who is going to go work for NextEra Energy as a Senior Project Manager.
- Jack Thompson is a 5-year Navy Cryptologic Warfare officer who is going to go work for Eurofins Scientific as a Project Manager.
Each officer brought their own unique perspective to the conversation and was able to shed much light on their experience through the entire process, from the beginning of the Career Conference all the way through accepting an offer for employment.
I am convinced that their insight will shape expectations and further develop the preparation plans for the officers in the Development and Preparation Program (DPP) who plan to attend a future Cameron-Brooks Career Conference.
We covered a lot of ground through the conversation, essentially highlighting best practices and lessons learned from their experiences. We were able to cover some key questions, such as:
- What was your biggest surprise about the Career Conference?
- What did you do really well before the Conference that was pivotal in your preparation?
- Knowing what you know now, what do you wish you would have done differently to prepare for the Conference?
- What were some of the key criteria you used to choose the company you are going to go work for?
- What was the follow-up interview process like, and what was the difference between the virtual Conference in the in-person follow-up interviews?
Toward the end of the podcast, I opened it up for those who attended the meeting live to ask any question of the panelist.
My hope is that this podcast is helpful to you in your decision-making process and preparation for your future endeavors.
If you want to learn more about your transition options, please get in touch with us.
You can also check out our Transition Guide on “3 Game-Changing Strategies for JMOs Making the Jump to Business” for additional transition tips.